||Murray Manor, 225 Main Street
Built by James Bond, for his daughter Anne Murray, built c 1820-25.
The 1-and-1/2- story house has Regency and Gothic influences. Wood was
brought from England for the construction. The house has a fine bay facade,
and the first-story windows have 6 pane "eyebrows" above them. There are
also "praying" windows on the second floor. The basement is built of field
stone and corbelled cornices extend around the house. In the 1860`s the
kitchen and bedroom were added on the back of the house. Murray Manor is
now a Bed and Breakfast.
||7 Main Street.
Built in 1891 by Master Mariner Jacob Hatfield, this wooden l-and-1/2-story home is built in New England Colonial style with Victorian features. The house has a pair of "widow`s peaks" which are part of the "widow`s walk" along with a centre tower. A railing runs along the top of the tower. The cellar of the house still has a dirt floor and a brick bake-oven.
The house on Milton corner was built in the Georgian style in 1836. The house is a 2-and-1/2-story home with plain frieze boards that encircle the whole building. The corners of the building have wide corner moldings. The front of the house has a symmetrical three-bay facade and a centred doorway. The roof has high pitched gables. In the 1990`s the house was bought and converted into a medical center. A three-story addition was added to the back of the house, and then was attached to another Georgian style home down the street. This picture shows one of Yarmouth's three remaining fountains The fourth, on Forest street, was destroyed by a car. The picture also shows one of Yarmouth`s street cars, which started in the 1890`s and ended operation in 1928.
||57 William Street.
These houses were built during the 1870`s, by William Dane, for Arthur Eakin and Job Hatfield. The twin houses are Modified Victorian Gothic; the gables are very highly pitched, with ornamental barge boards on the eaves and corners. The windows have triangular tops and the eaves have gingerbread trim. A painted hood over the front door is supported by columns on a brick staircase giving the twin houses a two-bay facade. They are built over a brick basement. Sadly, in 1992 one of these fine houses caught fire and burned down.
||The Baker House, Beacon Street.
The large mansion was built for the Hon. Loran E. Baker in the 1800`s. This Italian-style house has a large four-story tower, and a large decorative front walkway. The house had beautiful landscaped gardens, remnants of which still exist. This was one of the most prominent houses on Yarmounth`s skyline. After Mr. Baker's death, the house was sold and became the Bethany Bible College. It was torn down in 1958 to make way for the Beacon Baptist church.