Rum Running Yarmouth Nova Scotia page. 6
Rum Running part - 6
7. Two young fellows would deliver booze for a bootlegger but one of them would
drink some of the rum and add water to the rum. The customer complained to the
bootlegger so they put some contents from the drugstore in the rum. The delivery
boy sampled the booze every day for a set time each time messing his pants. After a
short time he learned his lesson.
8. One time at a summer lodge a family went out for summer. Now the grandmother
could not speak English or read or write also she had not traveled anywhere. Tea
was ordered for her and at that time, bulk tea was put in hot water and poured into a
cup through a strainer. Tea bags were new on the market and this was brought to
her. She looked at the tea bag and said to her daughter "they're trying to poison
9. Most old homes had a hole above the kitchen stove where the heat should go
through and shoes were placed in on the top of the warming oven to dry.
One night one of the occupants of the home was half asleep and walked to the hole
squatted down and urinated down the shoe. One can imagine the smell the next
10. Years ago one didn't need a radio as if an argument started all the doors in the
neighborhood opened and everyone listened until it was settled then all the doors
would slam shut at the same time.
11. One old fellow told me that in the 30's there would be a cat and dog day at the
movie theater meaning if one showed up with a cat or dog they got in free. Bill said
they always found someone's cat (as they were smaller) and got in free. They would
always let the cat go.
12. This old gentleman from the French shore, used to run a motorboat from the shore to
the big boats. This was to pick up rum and bring it back to shore. He once met Al
Capone and describing him as a fine gentleman. Irving's boat was built and paid for
by supplying lumber for another boat. He's still living at ninety years of age.
13. One old fellow went from restaurants to stores collecting swill to feed his pigs. He
had a wagon that should have been hauled by a horse but was hauled by a cow.
Next Page click Here.
Previous Page click Here.
Go to Home.